Monday, October 8, 2007

October 8th

Yes, Yes, I know I haven't posted in two months.
I am going to get back in the habit of updating, honest.

I don't think I posted since I had the back surgery.
Most of you that actually read this already know that it was a success and my back is doing better than it has for years.
Although I have not got back in the habit of updating, I was only off work for about eleven days after the surgery.

The building I work in has finished the swap to become both our Intensive Management Unit (IMU) and our Disciplinary Segregation Unit (DSU).
The building itself is now called Special Management Housing (SMH).
It consists of the IMU (A and B unit), and the DSU (Unit 1 and 2).

The old DSU building is now known as the Administrative Special Housing (ASH).
OOOHHHHH YEAH boys and girls, you can imagine the fun a bunch of twisted, sarcastic, cynical Correction Officers are having with that.
Imagine if you will, the radio traffic as 10 tower announces to staff in the Administrative Special Housing that they have someone entering the building.
"Ten Tower to ASH, you got one coming in the ASH"
Yes it is childish, schoolyard humor, but come on. What were they thinking when they named this thing.
Oh that's right, it was named by management. There wasn't any thinking involved.
Anyway, so the ASH consists of Death Row Unit (DRU) and the Administrative Segregation Unit (ASU).
ASU is what most people would think of as protective custody.

So back to my little home away from home. I am assigned the control center of IMU B unit.
This is where the higher level guys are housed, and consequently, it is for the most part pretty quiet most of the time.
This works for me. I have done my time dealing with the boneheads. At least the boneheads up here are a little more well behaved.

Not so much for the rest of the building. Tonight we started moving inmates around in the unit. We were supposed to get two more brought up from A unit. One decided he didn't want to move. Normally this wouldn't be SUCH a big deal, but two things weren't going his way. Number one he failed the attitude check when he was told he was moving. Number two, he didn't have any reason to be such a mouthy ass about moving, which threw up red flags to the Lieutenant. Why would he NOT want to move to the better, more quiet unit? Well, he then refused to even be cuffed up to come out to talk. So an extraction team was formed and they went in to get him. He got a face full of pepper spray and staff dog piled him, cuffed him and he ended up coming out the hard way. Now he will lose his level and his property will be searched thoroughly to determine if he had something to hide.

Just as they were finishing dealing with this mess, a guy in one of the DSU units started having chest pains. So an ambulance was called and the guy was transported out to the hospital. This was all within the first two hours of my shift. Can't wait to see what the rest of the night has in store for us.

And so it continues. At about 10:30pm, the officer working control in DSU Unit 2 calls on the radio to have the water turned off in one of the sections. An inmate was flooding out. When they went in to talk to him the inmate was in the process of tying his sheets around his neck. This was an inmate we just got in tonight. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that on top of everything else going on earlier tonight, we had 4 inmates brought in for DSU all within about 30 minutes of each other. The details I got are still a bit blurry, and I am not sure if anyone knows for sure at this point what happened but it sounds like maybe the guys cellmate beat on him. They brought him down to my unit and put him in the holding cell. So now i have a bunch of staff, the Lieutenant, a couple nurses all milling around. Well, they finally all left and the rest of the night was quiet.

1 comment:

Loni said...

Glad to see your back up and running Gary!!! I have missed reading your blog and finding out what is going on in the big house. :) So glad your back is all better too! What a releif that must be, eh?!