Monday, January 29, 2007

January 29th

Quiet shift again last night. Then at about 11:00pm my partner called me on the radio and told me the boss wanted to know if I wanted to work 3 tower for the dayshift. sigh. Did I WANT to, not really, but it is sure hard to pass up easy overtime like that, so I did it. SO after 8 hours of driving and watching alarms, I spent another 8 in a tower watching traffic go around the corner of the wall.
It is an easy post, all I have to do is write down license plate numbers of vehicles that go around the back of the institution. Despite it being an easy one, it sure makes a long day. Nothing looks better after 16 hours at work than seeing your relief coming down the wall at you.

Interesting side note. While on the wall in the tower today, one of our maintenance guys came up to look at a problem in 5 tower. Each of the towers has an intercom system in it, so as he passed each tower, we would alert the next tower by saying, "Hey 4 tower, you have that red hat coming your way headed to 5 tower". As the red hat was leaving and we were calling him back off the wall, I got on the intercom and asked everyone if maybe they thoguht it was time to give the maintenance people a new name. It has been a good 10 years since anyone has SEEN a red hat. You see, the maintenance guys used to all wear red baseball hats at work. Because security staff didn't work around these guys that much, not many of them got to learn their names. So they were called "red hats". After some banter and seriously politically incorrect ideas, it was decided we would just stick with calling them red hats.

Well, I got a great 4 hours sleep, time to go back for more. Until tomorrow...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary;
I think your idea is just great, about blogs. this one and the one for Jackie.
I forwarded it to Annie also.
As I told you a while ago, my brother-in-law worked there for about 10 years, and I heard some from him, but this is interesting.
keep up the blog, and stay safe.
Lois

Sherry Carline said...

Hey Nephew, where did you go? You haven't posted for awhile. I finally got my blog on track a little more. I'm gonna be putting a bunch of stuff on there. Hopefully tomorrow. Check it out. And if you feel like it you can leave a message. Let me know what you think. Love ya. Aunt Sherry
P.S. My yahoo!360 blog is the one I'm talking about.